Why Airway Hygiene is as Important as Hand Hygiene with Dr. David EdwardsNov 01, 2021
Florence Nightingale, the mother of nursing, has a theory called “Environmental theory” in which she believed that a healthy environment was fundamental for healing. A healthy environment means having clean water and air, basic sanitation, cleanliness, and light. This theory and her practices are still relevant up to these days and in fact our major weapon to fight against COVID-19.
Air pollution is the world’s largest environmental health risk. It is linked to numerous death cases annually recorded. For this reason, it is important that the air we breathe is clean and safe from harmful pollution because clean air is essential for healthy lungs.
Have you ever heard about airway hygiene?
Dr. Dung Trinh is joined by Dr. David Edwards, Harvard scientist and inventor, to talk about airway hygiene and his invention named FEND. FEND is a new hygiene system that cleanses the upper respiratory airways to strengthen the immune system. It boosts the strength of the mucosal lining by washing the upper airways and eliminating airborne contaminants before they reach the lungs.
It is important to stay healthy and be mindful of the cleanliness of our environment especially in this pandemic. Though it seems we are at the tail end, we cannot deny that future pandemics of various nature are imminent.
Listen to this episode to know more as we dig into airway hygiene, how it works, and its importance.
- Placing salt on your respiratory airways and breathing it through your nose can reduce the number of respiratory droplets. - Dr. David Edwards
- Salt and water are in the air and they’re even more prominently in the air when you’re in the sea. - Dr. David Edwards
- When the virus heads up to the olfactory nerve it destroys the ability to smell. - Dr. Dung Trinh
Other Resources Mentioned:
Important Health Points:
- Droplet is the primary transmission of COVID-19 and is mostly coming out from upper airways.
- Water and salt coating our throat help our cilia lining to eliminate pollutant and virus, bacteria that invade our throat.
- FEND puts salt in your upper airways through inhalation.
- When you get a virus invading your throat, FEND may help your upper respiratory system "clean out" the offending virus
- A salty environment helps sanitize your upper airways.
About the Guests:
Dr. David Edwards is a scientist and inventor from Harvard University. He discovered airway hygiene and founded FEND, a new hygiene system that cleanses the upper respiratory airways. Click here for more information.
About the Host:
Dung Trinh, MD is the Chief Medical Officer of Irvine Clinical Research, medical missionary with TongueOut Medical Missions, and holds leadership positions with multiple health care organizations in Orange County. He is a keynote speaker, best-selling author, and Host of “Health Talks with Dr. Trinh” which can be heard weekly on OC Talk Radio.
Connect with Dr. Trinh
A Team Dklutr Production
Want your own copy of Dr. Trinh's amazing book on Alzheimer's?
Get your own copy of Alzheimer's: What You Need To Know (And Why You Should Care) by Dr. Dung Trinh.
For every patient officially diagnosed with Alzheimer’s, many more are living with this condition undiagnosed. Stay on top of this cognitive condition by knowing the symptoms and risk reduction strategies.
Spoiler Alert: It's so good you can't put it down.