COVID-19 Update: The Possible Treatments for COVID-19 with Kate ChiangJan 07, 2022
The new year has come, and many of us are still hoping to finally reach the end of the pandemic. However, there are still emerging variants of COVID-19 and many countries are still strictly implementing COVID restrictions to prevent transmission and to lower infection cases. It continuously affects each one of us, our economy, and threatens the future of the younger generation.
Ever since the pandemic started, doctors and scientists researched for every drug they could think of to fight the virus. There are lots of potentially effective medications that can be repurposed. However, due to a lack of funding, pharmaceutical companies are rarely interested in research with approved medicines, especially generic drugs.
To continue the COVID-19 update, we are joined in this episode by Kate Chiang, the brilliant daughter of Dr. Ajay Gupta, who is a full-time Research and Development Scientist in KARE Boresciences, to continue the discussion about Ramatroban as a possible treatment for COVID-19.
Ramatroban is a generic drug used for the treatment of allergic rhinitis. It is currently under investigation to possibly treat COVID-19, sickle cell disease, cardiovascular disease, neurological diseases, obesity, and more. Listen to Episode 17 to learn more.
- Immune response to COVID-19 would be the major factor in fighting off the virus. - Kate Chiang
- Anyone can do anything at any age if you will invest yourself in it. - Kate Chiang
- We have lots of potentially effective medications out there that can be repurposed to treat other conditions, but nobody wants to do it because it is generic. - Dr. Dung Trinh
- COVID-19 causes blood clotting which can prevent proper blood circulation throughout the body and may result in organ damage.
- Money is the barrier to why we couldn’t do clinical trials.
- Ramatroban is not necessarily COVID specific but it strengthens your immune system enough to fight the virus.
About the Guests:
Kate Chiang is a part-time TongueOut Youth Ambassador and a full-time Research and Development Scientist in KARE Boresciences. She has been working to repurpose a drug called, “Ramatroban” to treat COVID-19, sickle cell disease, cardiovascular disease, neurological diseases, obesity, and more.
About the Host:
Dung Trinh, MD is the Chief Medical Officer of Irvine Clinical Research, medical missionary with TongueOut Medical Missions, and holds leadership positions with multiple health care organizations in Orange County. He is a keynote speaker, best-selling author, and Host of “Health Talks with Dr. Trinh” which can be heard weekly on OC Talk Radio.
Connect with Dr. Trinh
Want your own copy of Dr. Trinh's amazing book on Alzheimer's?
Get your own copy of Alzheimer's: What You Need To Know (And Why You Should Care) by Dr. Dung Trinh.
For every patient officially diagnosed with Alzheimer’s, many more are living with this condition undiagnosed. Stay on top of this cognitive condition by knowing the symptoms and risk reduction strategies.
Spoiler Alert: It's so good you can't put it down.