What is a DO? Doctor of Osteopathic MedicineSep 08, 2023
About the guests:
Isobel Tweedt is a medical student at Western University of Health Sciences College of Osteopathic Medicine. As WesternU's Global Health Club President, Isobel leads students in international efforts to bring healthcare, education, and resources to communities in need. Locally, Isobel provides schools and scout troops with education on healthcare and pursuing a pre-med track. In particular, she uses her position as an SSA and medical student to support young women who may face obstacles on their way to a career in STEM. With an interest in specializing in space medicine, Isobel is now joining a UCSF space research team. She is excited to explore this growing field and hopes to share her passion with more students, girls, and members of her community.
Thomas A. Fox, MSHS is the Director of Outreach and Strategic Partnerships - College of Osteopathic Medicine of the Pacific - WesternU.
In this episode, you’ll learn about:
- The definition of osteopathic medicine can vary among practitioners
- Emphasis on the patient-centered approach of osteopathic practice
- Highlighting the importance of being treated as a person and being listened to
- Osteopaths can prescribe medication as a last resort but prioritize holistic treatment and patient well-being.
- Description of the key tenets of osteopathy
- Focusing on the integration of physical, mental, emotional, and spiritual aspects of health.
- Emphasis on treating patients as whole individuals
- Highlighting the distinction between osteopathic and allopathic (MD) medicine, with a focus on holistic care.
- Importance placed on the passion and heart of healthcare providers over their titles, emphasizing the need for quality healthcare in society.
Connect with Isobel Tweedt:
Connect with Tom Fox, MSHS:
About the Host:
Dung Trinh, MD is the Chief Medical Officer of Healthy Brain Clinic, a medical missionary with TongueOut Medical Missions, and holds leadership positions with multiple healthcare organizations in Orange County. He is a keynote speaker, best-selling author, and Host of “Health Talks with Dr. Trinh” which can be heard weekly on OC Talk Radio.
Connect with Dr. Trinh
A Team Dklutr Production
Want your own copy of Dr. Trinh's amazing book on Alzheimer's?
Get your own copy of Alzheimer's: What You Need To Know (And Why You Should Care) by Dr. Dung Trinh.
For every patient officially diagnosed with Alzheimer’s, many more are living with this condition undiagnosed. Stay on top of this cognitive condition by knowing the symptoms and risk reduction strategies.
Spoiler Alert: It's so good you can't put it down.