The Pain Behind Mental Health Amidst the Pandemic with Lanii Phan and Dr. Paul ChristoDec 03, 2021
The COVID-19 pandemic has brought us stressful and overwhelming challenges to a degree that our level of anxiety and stress have increased. It negatively affects our mental health mainly when we tend to feel more isolated and lonelier due to the sudden health protocol restrictions.
People try to cope with stress even at the simplest level that they can until they get run over and find wrong solutions. The extreme amount of stress and lack of coping skills has led many to use illegal drugs that caused the rate of substance abuse to increase. This is why being open to health education is needed to put a stop on the continuous pain behind mental health amidst the pandemic.
In this episode, we are joined by Dr. Paul Christo, the author of the Aches and Gains, A Comprehensive Guide to Overcoming Your Pain, as he talks about the uncontrolled and untreated pain people are dealing with and the pharmacological strategies to reduce pain. At the same time, Lanii Phan, the Vice President of Community Health at 360 Clinic, is also here with us to share (her/his) inputs about the topic.
Keep in mind that mental health is as important as your physical health. So taking care of your mental wellness during this pandemic is crucial and helpful for our well-being. Episode 12 features better ways to reduce pain without the risk of illegal drugs. Listen to learn more!
- People are turning to illegal drugs due to an extreme amount of stress and a lack of coping skills. - Dr. Paul Christo
- People lack education to cope up with stress. - Dr. Paul Christo
- Don’t give up because there are treatments that can ease the pain. - Dr. Paul Christo
- When someone is in pain, he or she doesn’t think of any other thing, other than pain, most of the time they settle for what’s easiest and most available. - Lanii Phan
- Some of the pharmaceutical companies push physicians to use opioids more frequently.
- There are many instances where people overdose and die due to misuse of opioids because they have access to it even without the prescription.
- Acupuncture can be used in treating numerous conditions such as neck pain, back pain, and knee pain.
- Endorphins are the internal morphine that reduces pain naturally.
About the Guests:
Lanii Phan is the Vice President of Community Health at 360 Clinic, a COVID testing company. She is also the Director of Business Development at Sun-Mar and at Windsor Gardens of Anaheim, and the supervisor at Gerinet Medical Associates.
Paul Christo, MD is one of the world’s leading pain specialists and author of Aches and Gains, A Comprehensive Guide to Overcoming Your Pain. He is an Associate Professor in the Division of Pain Medicine at the Johns Hopkins University School of Medicine.
About the Host:
Dung Trinh, MD is the Chief Medical Officer of Irvine Clinical Research, medical missionary with TongueOut Medical Missions, and holds leadership positions with multiple health care organizations in Orange County. He is a keynote speaker, best-selling author, and Host of “Health Talks with Dr. Trinh” which can be heard weekly on OC Talk Radio.
Connect with Dr. Trinh
Want your own copy of Dr. Trinh's amazing book on Alzheimer's?
Get your own copy of Alzheimer's: What You Need To Know (And Why You Should Care) by Dr. Dung Trinh.
For every patient officially diagnosed with Alzheimer’s, many more are living with this condition undiagnosed. Stay on top of this cognitive condition by knowing the symptoms and risk reduction strategies.
Spoiler Alert: It's so good you can't put it down.