COVID-19 Update: What the Doctors Don’t Tell You with Dr. Ajay GuptaNov 12, 2021
As much as modern technology and science tries to alleviate human suffering, the world has been plagued by numerous health problems afflicting the lives of people. Due to COVID-19, the rate of mortality increased resulting in widespread medical and economic challenges.
Our body has interferon proteins that are part of the natural defenses. They work by interfering with the virus to enter the body by activating the body’s immune system. This is the first line of defense the human body has when it gets infected with COVID-19 but unfortunately, this is not enough.
According to WHO, as of November 2021, there have been approximately 200 million confirmed cases of COVID-19. For COVID-19 medications, Remdesivir is one of several drugs approved by the FDA to treat COVID-19 yet researchers are still studying which drug works best to fight the global pandemic.
In this episode, Dr. Dung Trinh is joined by Dr. Ajay Gupta, an inventor and innovator who has investigated Ramatroban, as a potential re-purposed therapy for COVID-19. Though still under development and for approval by the FDA, early clinical trials and studies have been promising.
Learn more about the potential of Ramatroban and about COVID-19 only on Episode 9!
- When there’s a new drug, it takes multiple clinical trials to ensure that the drug is not just going to be effective but more importantly, it is going to be safe. - Dr. Ajay Gupta
- New medications for Covid have to undergo multiple clinical trials but often there isn’t adequate funding coming from the government. - Dr. Dung Trinh
- [email protected] - Dr Ajay Gupta
- The severity of COVID-19 illness depends on how the body reacts to the virus.
- As humans age, they produce more Prostaglandin D2 (PGD2). When they are infected with a virus, the production of PGD2 increases further and suppresses interferons - one of the first immune responder of the body.
About the Guests:
Ajay Gupta, MD is an inventor who is currently investigating Ramatroban, a PGD2-CRTH2 antagonist, for potential treatment against COVID-19. He is a nephrologist and basic and clinical scientist, the Section Head of Pediatric Epilepsy at Cleveland Clinic, currently the Clinical Professor of Medicine at University of California, Irvine - College of Medicine, and President and Chief Scientific Officer of KARE Biosciences,
About the Host:
Dung Trinh, MD is the Chief Medical Officer of Irvine Clinical Research, medical missionary with TongueOut Medical Missions, and holds leadership positions with multiple health care organizations in Orange County. He is a keynote speaker, best-selling author, and Host of “Health Talks with Dr. Trinh” which can be heard weekly on OC Talk Radio.
Connect with Dr. Trinh
Want your own copy of Dr. Trinh's amazing book on Alzheimer's?
Get your own copy of Alzheimer's: What You Need To Know (And Why You Should Care) by Dr. Dung Trinh.
For every patient officially diagnosed with Alzheimer’s, many more are living with this condition undiagnosed. Stay on top of this cognitive condition by knowing the symptoms and risk reduction strategies.
Spoiler Alert: It's so good you can't put it down.